Mid-Texas Symphony Running Team - TIR 2010

(left to right): Arturo Aldama, Liz Levin Pittel, Fred Ramirez, James Baker, Dorian Ramirez, The Mad Director (standing in for Maeve Goetz), Alan Pekarik, David Horne, Marie Pekarik, Jonathan Hager, Holly Murphy-Brackin, and Steve Hager

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Long Runs Useful Too

A few days ago I wrote about integrating 2-a-day runs into your relay training regimen. I don't know if anyone read Steve's comment to that post, but he chimed in with support of 2 or even 3 runs-per-day in prep for the relay.

I will continue to integrate those multiple runs into my daily workouts, but as I looked at the total mileage that will be required of each of us next weekend it occurred to me that the age old regimen of a weekly long run must still be an important part of our preparation. I wish I could report that I have a recent 16 or 18 miler under my belt, but I can't. I'm sure Holly has an 18 or 20 miler behind her and certainly she will have this weekend's marathon to count as an obvious long run. Ditto for Dorian, Fred and Jon with their recent marathons in Florida and Austin.

My Friday run was 9.75 miles and it does give me some assurance that the 18 or 19 miles I will be contributing to the TIR is not going to kick my ass. I feel right now, about 5 hours after finishing the long run, that I could go out and run another 9 miles or so, but I won't. It's time for bed now and then maybe a 2-a-day tomorrow.

Happy running. Let's take advantage of the cool weather which will break those trying couple of summer days we just had. It's anyone's guess what Mother Nature will give us for the race, and I'll write some gear reminders in the next post just to make sure everyone packs for the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment