Mid-Texas Symphony Running Team - TIR 2010

(left to right): Arturo Aldama, Liz Levin Pittel, Fred Ramirez, James Baker, Dorian Ramirez, The Mad Director (standing in for Maeve Goetz), Alan Pekarik, David Horne, Marie Pekarik, Jonathan Hager, Holly Murphy-Brackin, and Steve Hager

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Packing List etc.

First, how happy is everyone we were not out there running last night and before sunrise today? I had intended to run a few more miles last night after getting off work at midnight, but a few blasts of that cold air changed my mind. Of course, had we been on the road last night we would have each buckled down and figured out how to give our best. That's what I like about this team and I thank each of you for your commitment.

Looking at the extended weather forecast for next weekend, it appears to be very similar to what we ran in last year. It ought to be mild at night and somewhat on the warm and sunny side Saturday afternoon. I doubt rain will be a factor. However, as Steve will attest from last year, the brisk winds this time of year could well work against us. There's not much we can do beyond knowing the running will be especially challenging if you end up with one of those legs.

Packing for the expected and unexpected is always the challenge. Each of you should judge how many changes of running clothes you might need. Also, allow for something to keep you from chilling during those extended periods of not running. Sweat pants and a sweat shirt are probably perfect. I think the coldest I got last year was sitting at a restaurant in Houston at about 5 in the morning. We all know the wisdom of layering, so let's practice it.

Additional socks. A second pair of shoes, especially if there might be a rogue shower. Hats. I will try to have some communal sun screen, but if you think about it put in a personal serving. Also, please bring your own snacks, energy gels or bars, etc. Please bring your own water bottle. I'll have a mess of those hand carried water bottles like I had last year, but I don't think I have enough for everyone.

As with last year, I will supply servings of Recoverite for each van. I think this is an especially useful post run supplement and I hope everyone will use it. Also, Steve offered another Hammer product, called Perpetuum, which I think also makes a great supplement. We will have some of that available also. We will also keep a water supply with each van and maybe a bag of fruit as well. We can compare notes on these items between now and then and especially Friday night.

I have signed us up for the shower stop in Wallis, near leg 23. As you recall from last year, we had a chance to shower and lay our weary bodies down on the gymnasium floor for a few hours. According to Jay Hilscher, the co-coordinator of the race, demand is high for this mid-race oasis, so brace yourselves for having to wait in line for a shower and simply know that the wait will be worth it when you get the sweat and the road grime rinsed off. BRING A TOWEL and any other toiletries you require. I will pack an array of sleeping bags (I think I have three). If a few of you could also pack sleeping bags it would be useful. As with last year, if we have at least 6 sleeping bags we can get by.

I have reserved a 7 passenger van from the San Antonio end and Alan will do the same from Houston. Even though we will have one additional runner than last year (11 total) we should have more space since there are no additional drivers. (If you missed it earlier, Alan and Marie will share the driving of Van 2 and Steve and I will drive Van 1.) Nevertheless, let's know that space will still be finite, so please pack with consideration of what you absolutely need but with consideration also for your fellow runners.

Final considerations: First, I know this is not absolutely thorough nor is it final. There will be more details to communicate (i.e. motel and room assignments for Friday night). On Sunday, Van 2 will stay in Houston. Van 1 will return to San Antonio by way of Gonzales. This should work out perfectly in terms of space, assuming Jon will be staying in Houston.

Remember that our start time is 6:38 Saturday morning. We will need to meet prior to that so I can get everyone signed off on the required waiver. This applies principally to those who won't be staying overnight on Friday in Gonzales: Steve, Jon, Brian and Denise.

Call me at (210)834-1402 if you have any unresolved concerns. Please stay healthy! and happy training.

No comments:

Post a Comment